Policy Document on Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
Date of Adoption: 1st September 2023
1. Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this policy is to establish a framework to ensure compliance with the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act) within our organization. This policy applies to all employees, stakeholders, and operations, emphasizing our commitment to upholding the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities (PWDs).
- To align with the RPWD Act, promoting inclusivity and accessibility for PWDs within our organization.
- To foster a workplace environment that is equitable and free from discrimination for PWDs.
- To encourage proactive engagement and collaboration with PWDs for their holistic development.
- To provide necessary support and accommodations for PWDs to thrive in their professional roles.
3. Definition & Categories of Disabilities
Our organization recognizes the following categories of disabilities as per the RPwD Act:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disabilities
- Intellectual disabilities
- Mental illness
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Specific learning disabilities
4. Definitions and Explanations
- Blindness and Low Vision: Complete absence of sight or significantly reduced vision, uncorrectable with lenses.
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing: Complete or partial loss of hearing ability. Locomotor Disabilities: Conditions affecting mobility or motor functions. Intellectual Disabilities: Limitations in intellectual and adaptive functioning.
- Mental Illness: Conditions impacting mental health, affecting thinking, feeling, and behavior
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Neurodevelopmental disorders affecting social interaction, communication, and behavior.
- Cerebral Palsy: A neurological disorder affecting muscle coordination and body movemen
- Specific Learning Disabilities: Difficulties in acquiring academic skills, despite normal intelligence.
5. Guiding Principles
Equality and Non-Discrimination
We are committed to ensuring equal rights and opportunities for PWDs within our organization. Discrimination based on disability is strictly prohibited, and we strive to create a fair and just workplace.
Inclusivity and Accessibility
Our organization is dedicated to providing an inclusive and accessible workplace, removing barriers and ensuring that PWDs can fully participate in all activities.
Empowerment and Participation
We encourage the active involvement and empowerment of PWDs in decision-making processes and workplace activities, ensuring their voices are heard and valued.
Dignity and Respect
Our organization promotes the dignity and respect of every individual, including PWDs, fostering a culture of understanding, empathy, and consideration.
6. Rights and Entitlements
Right to Equality
PWDs in our organization shall be treated with equality and fairness, receiving equal protection and opportunities as their non-disabled counterparts.
Right to Non-Discrimination
We ensure that PWDs are not subject to any form of discrimination, prejudice, or disadvantage based on their disability, and they have an equal right to access services and opportunities
Right to Accessibility
Our organization is committed to providing accessible physical spaces, information, and communication technology to enable PWDs to perform their tasks effectively.
Right to Education
We support PWDs in their pursuit of education and skill development, providing necessary accommodations to facilitate a conducive learning environment.
Right to Employment
PWDs shall have equal access to employment opportunities, and we will make reasonable accommodations to ensure their integration into our workforce.
Right to Health
We prioritize the health and well-being of PWDs, ensuring they have access to appropriate healthcare services and support.
Right to Social Security
We are dedicated to assisting PWDs in obtaining social security benefits and support, fostering a sense of financial security and stability.
7. Responsibilities and Duties
Management and HR
- Compliance: Ensure adherence to the RPwD Act, integrating its principles into our policies and practices.
- Awareness and Training: Organize regular training sessions to sensitize employees about the Act and foster a culture of understanding and support.
Supervisors and Team Leaders
- Accommodations: Work with HR to identify and implement appropriate accommodations to support PWDs in their roles.
- Inclusivity: Foster an inclusive work environment by encouraging collaboration and participation of PWDs in team activities
- Respect and Sensitivity: Treat PWDs with respect and empathy, promoting a workplace free from discrimination and bias.
- Report Concerns: Report any concerns regarding non-compliance or violations of this policy.
8. Implementation and Compliance
Monitoring and Evaluation
Regular assessments of policy effectiveness and compliance will be conducted to identify areas for improvement and ensure the policy's successful implementation.
Employees are encouraged to report any policy violations or concerns through designated channels without fear of retribution.
An efficient grievance redressal mechanism will be in place to address concerns related to policy violations and ensure appropriate action is taken.
The policy document will continue with sections on Capacity Building and Awareness, International Cooperation and Collaboration, and Policy Review and Amendments.
9. Capacity Building and Awareness
Training and Sensitization
Regular training sessions and workshops will be conducted to educate employees about disabilities, the RPwD Act, and best practices for interacting with and supporting PWDs. These sessions will promote understanding, empathy, and effective communication.
Public Awareness Campaigns
Our organization will actively engage in public awareness campaigns to inform the community about the rights and capabilities of PWDs. This will foster a more inclusive society and encourage the meaningful inclusion of PWDs in various aspects of life.
10. International Cooperation and Collaboration
Collaboration with International Organizations
We will collaborate with relevant international organizations and bodies working on disability rights to share knowledge, best practices, and stay informed about global advancements in promoting the rights of PWDs.
Participation in Conventions and Treaties
Our organization will actively participate in international conventions, treaties, and forums related to disability rights, contributing to the global discourse and aligning our policies with international standards.
10. Policy Review and Amendments
Our organization will actively participate in international conventions, treaties, and forums related to disability rights, contributing to the global discourse and aligning our policies with international standards.This policy will be subject to periodic review to assess its effectiveness, relevance, and alignment with the RPwD Act. Reviews will be conducted annually or as needed based on changes in legislation or organizational structure.
Process for Amendments
Our organization will actively participate in international conventions, treaties, and forums related to disability rights, contributing to the global discourse and aligning our policies with international standards.Amendments to this policy may be proposed by any employee and will be reviewed by the designated committee. Approved amendments will be communicated to all employees and incorporated into the policy.
This policy reflects our commitment to uphold the principles and provisions outlined in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016. We strive to create an inclusive and accessible environment that respects the rights and dignity of every individual. By implementing this policy, we reaffirm our dedication to the empowerment and well-being of persons with disabilities within our organization and the community at large.
12. Point of Contact
In case any complaint arises or if any employee has any queries or needs clarification regarding this policy, please feel free to reach out to:
Archisha Chidumalla Contact Number: 9833501739 Email: email@example.com